Dzierżoniów

RSSRSS

Logo Unii Europejskiej

History

First written traces about Dzierżoniów come from 1250s. At the beginning of its history Dzierżoniów was subordinated to Wrocław princes but then it became one of the leading centers of Świdnica-Jawor Duchy. The architectonic scheme, created at that time, with  huge market place, its Town Hall and street coming out of the middle of its frontages may be seen today.

     In the 14th century Silesia gradually became more and more dependent on the Czech Crown. Świdnica-Jawor Duchy came under Prague control in 1392. the following century passed under the shadow of Hussite revolt which resulted in a great damage not only in Dzierżoniów but also in the whole region cause by marching armed bands and severe epidemics.

     In 1526 the Bohemian Kingdom including Dzierżoniów went under the Habsburgh's rule. In the 16th century there was a great development of trade and handicraft as well canvas and other textile industry. The second half of that century and the beginning of the 17th century were sometimes even called "the golden age" of the town. Unfortunately, the fortunate period finished in 1618 with the beginning of the Thirty Years War. Following one hundred years were a period of a relative peace and quiet broken with the beginning of Silesian Wars (1740-1763). As their result Dzierżoniów like the major part of Silesia were joined to Prussia. In the years 1816-1820 our town became the capital of four regions of Siesian province. During the 
Prussian reign Dzierżoniów marked its place in history. In 1790 important diplomats from Prussia, Austria, Holland, England and the Republic of Poland visited the town. During their second meeting in 1813 crowned heads: Prussian king Frederic Wilhelm III and tsar Alexander I appeared in Dzierżoniów. In 1800 Dzierżoniów also hosted John Quincy Adams, the future  6th president of the United States of America. The 19th century - the town and the whole region became the center of Silesian textile production.

In the half of that century because of the crisis in textile branch Dzierżoniów faced acute workers' protests which in the history were known as Silesian Weavers' Rebellion. The incidents of June 1848 were later described in one of the works of Nobel prize winner Gerhard Hautmann.

     In 19th century the town accomplished many communal investments, many public buildings were constructed and many new private houses were built. In 1855 Dzierżoniów was joined with Świdnica by railaway and on the turn of the 19th century a local "Owl Mountains"  railway which joined Dzierżoniów and neighboring towns was established. At the 
beginning of the 20thcentury Dzierżoniów owning to incorporation a small village Ernsdorf (now Lower Dzierzoniów) into its boundaries was the sixth biggest town in Silesia.

    The same century also meant two World Wars. After the Second World War Dzierżoniów was on so called regained lands which were joined to Poland again. Two main industries - textile and electromechanical develop and radio-technical factory "Diora" is well-known not only in whole Poland but also abroad. In the result of administrative changes Dzierżoniów became a part of Wałbrzych voivodeship.

The latest history

In 1989 the political changes lead to establishment of a local government which has its own legal independence. Economic changes of 1990s cause the fall of big companies. Nowadays the local economy is dominated mainly by small and
average-sized business. As a reward for the Program of Complex Old Town Revitalization Dzierżooniów got a title of "Town 2000". Dzierżoniów is also beautifully illuminated streets, settlements, parks and squares. In 1999 Dzierzoniów got the third place among the best illuminated towns municipalities in Poland. In the field of education the town office accomplishes a program of Self-governmental Social School including, among others, financing extra-curriculum activities, rewrds and scholarships for the best students.

   A key meaning for the economic development of the town has the presence of a subzone of Wałbrzych Special Economic Zone INVEST-PARK which has been operating in Dzierżoniów since 1997. It creates favorable conditions for the investors. Small and average-sized companies are offered with a packet of allowances and preferences for their economic enterprises. Apart from that the town office also introduces a Multiannual Investment Plan which is excellent means in applying for European Union funds.  

In the ranking "Professional Investor Friendly Municipality" Dzierżoniów has been distinguished twice, and in 2003 it was rewarded with the title of " Fair Play Municipality - Certified Investment Localization".  

   The trump card and undeniably one of its greatest achievements is gaining by the Town Office in Dzierżoniów the Certificate of Quality Management System. As the first public entity in Poland Dzierżoniów got The Certificate of Quality Management System PN-ISO 9002:1996 in 1999 and then in 2003 - PN-ISO 9001:2001. In 2004 the Town Office was distinguished with other rewards: "The Leader of Municipality Self-government Management" as well as European Quality Reward EFQM.

Nadchodzące wydarzenia

Dzierżoniów gallery

Weather

TodayPartly cloudy0°C

TomorrowCloudy8°C