Logo Unii Europejskiej

Attracions in the neighbourhood

The Owl Mountains

 The Owl Mountains are the oldest mountain massive in Europe. On the top of the highest mountain (The Great Owl – 1014,8 meters above the sea level) there is a hundred – year - old stone view tower built in 1906 from which one may admire a wonderful panorama of the Sudety Mountains and when the visibility is good, even the panorama of Wrocław which is located 50 kilometers further. Another attractive viewpoint is a little bit lower Kalenica (964 meters above the sea level) in the area of which National Landscape Park of the Owl Mountains and the reserve of Beech Kalenica have been created. Ii the Sudety Mountains one can encounter numerous mufflons which have been brought here from the Czech republic and Austria. The Owl Mountains are also an excellent place for cross-country skiing lovers. Mild, but not only, routs are ideal for people who are already learning to ski.

Arboretum in Wojsławice

 In the botanical garden located in Dzierżoniów province one may admire over 6 thousand species and kinds of plants. The collection gathered here has been recognized as Polish National Collections. Arboretum may be visited from May till September. On the turn of May and June there is the period of rhododendrons and azaleas’ flowering and then the garden looks extraordinary. In July is the period for the biggest collection of lilies, and in August you are delighted by romantic hydrangeas. In autumn the most representative is a two- hectare flowerbed of perennials and the fruit of exotic trees and bushes start getting their rape colours.


 Ślęża Mountain is famous for its Pagan religious practice. One of them was old – Slavic Kupała celebration – the celebration of joy and reconciliation which is celebrated on the longest day in a year, known in Poland under the name “Sobótka”. On the top of the mountain there is a church built in 1852, a tourist hostel, an television aerial built in 1972 which is 136 meters high and a central point for primeval customs – a granite stone resembling a bear. 

Walim underground tunnels

 Walim tunnels are underground military complex dating back the times of the Second World War until now being a great mystery and not thoroughly discovered. Spacious corridors which may be visited for example by boat were made by war prisoners with their hands. The corridors were built in the years 1943-45 and most probably were to serve the Germans as a secret arsenal. According to other resources, part of the complex was supposed to be used as Hitler’s and command-in-chief’s headquarters. Underground military complex “Rzeczka” consists 500 meters of accessible corridors and halls located in the Owl Mountains.

Srebrna Góra Fortress

 Constructed in the years 1765-1777 in the location of Srebrna Góra, the fortress is one of this kind objects in Europe. It consists of six forts and several bastions. Inside this never conquered fortress even 3756 soldiers could be stationed. Such big amounts of ammunition, fuel and food were gathered there. 264 cannons and mortars were used to defend the fortress. In the area of the fortress 9 wells were dug the deepest of which was 84 meters deep.  

The Church of Peace

 Photo - The Holy Trinity Church of Peace in Świdnica has been enrolled in the list of world cultural and natural human heritage UNESCO. Built solely with wood it can find room for 7.500 people. Emporas on their full length are covered with 78 bible verses and 47 allegoric scenes. The pictures painted on the wood illustrate the sense of the lines written next to them. Balustrades are richly decorated with sculptures and paintings. In the church there is an original organ with a Baroque prospect from the years 1666-1669. the ceiling of the church is also decorated with paintings coming from the years 1694-1696 which were painted by two Świdnica painters – Chrystian Sussenbach and Chrystian Kolitschek.

Książ Castle

 Located in the area of Książ National Landscape Park Książ is one of the biggest castles in Poland. Throughout history the owners of the castle changed many times. It also affected the castle’s appearance but the biggest influence had Hochberg family who ruled the castle for more than 400 years. tourists may admire impressive chambers among which the most beautiful are: Maximillian’s Hall, Chinese Chamber, Italian Chamber, Green Room and Hunting Hall. There is a legend which explains the beginnings of the castle. According to it, the castle was built as a fortress by imperial knight Funkenstein. As a young squire he presented his ruler a bag full of coal found accidentally in the woods. The emperor was so delighted with the gift that he promoted the boy quickly and called him The One Who Brings Stones Giving Sparkles”. He also told his soldiers to go to that area, find the valuable place and build a fortress there which will guard the black treasure.

Nadchodzące wydarzenia

Dzierżoniów gallery


TodayPartly cloudy0°C